May is bike month, and Week 2 of our Ride Series will find us meeting up at Nottingham and Main by the Cleaners Saturday May 12th at 9am for a tour of Harris Hill. Ride starts at 9:30. This will be the 2nd of our four planned rides every Saturday in May, so we hope to see a lot of you this month.
If you joined us for week 1 of our spring ride series, you got a delightful look at Clarence in Springtime. The skies were sunny and glorious and it was good to be back out on the bike again.
As we reminded you last week, this is not a full-blown slow roll. This will be a smaller, unsupported group ride following vehicle and traffic laws. Our goal is to keep everyone together at an easy-going 8-10 mile pace that should return us to our start sometime around 10:30am. There won’t be many climbs this week, but we will have a couple of strategic left turns – so stay sharp and remember your hand signals.
Here’s a look at our Week 2 route:
As always, please remember these few tips to help ensure you have a fun and safe ride:
Before You Ride – ABC Check:
- AIR. Pinch your tires to check for firmness before you ride
- BRAKES. Make sure they work and are not rubbing the tire
- CRANK/CHAIN. Any problems with your gears or chain? Check it over – Check your entire bike over for anything loose or damaged.
Obey the Rules of the Road:
- #1 RULE – Be aware of your surroundings!
- Obey traffic signals, stop signs and NYS law
- Ride in a straight line
- Ride to the right on the side with traffic as seems most reasonably safe
- Ride single file or no more than two abreast
- Announce your pass “On your LEFT!” when overtaking slower riders
- Point out to help those behind you avoid potholes, storm drain etc…
- Use hand signals for turning, stopping and slowing
- Be courteous
- Anticipate traffic patterns
- Stay a car doors length away from parked cars
Helmets and attire:
- Always wear a properly fitting helmet
- Don’t wear loose clothing; it can get caught in the chain etc…
- Wear Reflective clothing
- Consider comfortable bike attire, shoes, eyewear and gloves